HEALTHCARE INFORMATION SYSTEMS (HIS)
Fullly experienced and capable in
International Strategic Marketing Development, Tactical Sales Planning/Implementation, Sales and Marketing Team Selection,
Training, and Management, Domestic/International Marketing/Sales of IT and HIS, Solutions Selling and Consulting, Account
Development and Management and Financial Industry Marketing and Sales. Specialist, pioneer, leader, motivator, driving end-user
value in HIS, turning customer needs into products and features of value, working with colleagues, customers and developers
delivering systems for improving health care. Contributor to The White House review/reform of health care (1993)
1) After several successful years in Computer Center Operations for Sperry Univac in their Los Angeles Data Center (while completing
university at night), I moved to that of Systems Analyst, Designer and mainframe
programmer assisting outside sales staffs with new and existing clients.
2) Assigned as a Sales Representative the largest geographic territory (400 Square Miles - with no customers) in Los Angeles selling over $21+ million
including several hospitals over a period of 3 years becoming one of the sales leaders for the company.
3) As a result of this selected by Executive Management to head a new position for Univac as National Marketing
Manager - Medical Information Systems reporting directly to the VP of Corporate Marketing. In this new position when I took over Univac was doing about $500,000 per year in total
sales from the health care sector. I conceptualized and developed creative new marketing strategies and programs, new systems and software specifically for HIS,
directly selling against the toughest of competition. I selected, trained and managed 45 Sales Reps and 45 Systems Analysts for each
branch (45) in the US plus 15 others for Europe including those for implementation, customer support and service. Many governments
from countries such as Japan, Spain, France, China, Germany, Belgium, Norway, Sweden, the UK, and others (including the US Navy - which bought an HIS from us
and other Government agencies) came to discuss their needs and what we could do for them with our new state of the art HIS systems.
4) Activities included:
Conceptualization, development and implementation of a strong
marketing program addressing these HIS markets.
5) Results of this operation over a four (4) year period resulted in an increase in sales from less than $500k per year to over $70 million per year.
Development of a strong set of marketing tools including software
specifically for these markets.
Development of literature, seminars and other such tools to aid
in the marketing and sales to this large market for both US and Europe.
Sales of the first system (1968) in the world to Swedish govt with
large data base (1.5 million people) and monitors throughout their large teaching hospital. This system was later replicated throughout Europe and in
the US using software specifically developed for HIS. (Software development was done at the Univ. of Utah and within Univac).
Wrote, published and presented papers and articles regarding
the design and concepts of the systems to specific multi-national clients and events in US, Europe and Australia. Additional lectures were
given to the graduating class of MD's at Stanford Univ and others including Univ of Okla. and New York Univ. to name a few.
6) Results also included design and implementation of a mainframe system for a for-profit operation
undertaken by a group of physicians in the establishment of a centralized real-time integrated computer system linking
hospitals, clinics, physician offices, other health care providers and insurance companies, etc. over a 6 state area - first time ever in the USA.
7) Also worked with several other major companies who desired to penetrate
this vast and large HIS market - with excellent success, and have a successful multi-year experience in Financial Services working for
Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (plus others) working specifically with corporations and corporate executives in 401k's, IRA's,
Keyman Coverages, health care planning, Mutual Funds, etc.
- University of Southern California, Los Angeles, USA MBA
- University of Southern California, Los Angeles, USA Business Administration, BS
- University of Oregon, Eugene, USA Geology and Liberal Arts